Re: [vile] Rust syntax highlighting

From: Paul van Tilburg
Subject: Re: [vile] Rust syntax highlighting
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 16:25:37 +0100

On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 10:15:27AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> | Currently I am working on some Rust programs which Vile has no
> | higlighting for at the moment.  So, I'm wondering...  what do we
> | need?
> | A keywords file, and some parser similar to the Ruby one?
>
> yes.  I haven't looked to see what Rust's syntax looks like,
> but the complication with Ruby (less extreme than Perl) is that
> you can have regular expressions in the source with little clue
> where the expression starts.

It's syntax is much closer to C/C++, in a sense, but more
featureful.

> keywords are relatively simple, though it's surprising how hard it
> can be to pry that information out of online documentation :-)

For Rust I have found this:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/first-edition/syntax-index.html

Which is part of the "first book", which is more describes everything
feature by feature and also provides snippets per syntactal thing.
(In contrast to the "second book", which is much more like a book
that explains everything as a whole.)

Paul

--
Web: http://paul.luon.net/              | E-mail: address@hidden