Re: [vile] How can I run xvile like "gvim -f"?

From: hymie
Subject: Re: [vile] How can I run xvile like "gvim -f"?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:47:17 -0500

Chris Green writes:
>On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:06:47PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>> I am invoking xvile from a firefox extension (textern if anyone is
>> interested, it's a replacement for "It's all text" which doesn't work
>> on Firefox 57 or newer).
>>
>> For this to work xvile needs to stay in the foreground when invoked,
>> i.e. it needs to to what gvim does with "gvim -f".  Is there any way
>> to get it to do this or will I need some sort of wrapper?
>>
>To be more explicit I need xvile to not detach from the calling
>process.  This is so that the caller blocks until xvile exits.

I guess I don't understand what you're asking.  When I run xvile,
the program stays in the foreground and the shell waits for the
program to end.  If that's what you're asking for, then as far as I
can tell, the answer is "It does that by default."

If your Firefox extension is doing something unusual, then perhaps you
need to address your question to the author of the Firefox extension.
https://github.com/jlebon/textern has some suggestions also.

--hymie!     http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden