web-hurd

web pages revamped

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: web pages revamped
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 07:39:17 +0200

Hi,

I just added a new set of web pages and replaced the main page hurd.html
with a new version (this is the only page I replaced, all other pages areeee
left intact, they just can't be accessed anymore).

This is an attempt to get the web pages more focussed and a bit more up to
date.  This was long overdue.  It also makes me a bit more happy to work on
the web pages, and update them more frequently.  Like, adding a News section
and fill it with content regularly.

This is not meant to be a power trip or something.  I hope the people at
web-hurd are not annoyed by this move, and I am very sorry if I stumped on
anybodys feets.  I don't know what your status is.  I read a bit in the
web-hurd archive, but I didn't see any progress recently, so I assume that
this move does not conflict with any short term goal you might have.
It just happens that RMS asked me to do a status update on the web site,
because a lot of people ask what the status is, and so I took a look at the
web pages a few hours ago, and found them to be quite a mess (like, the
colors and menu are not the same on all pages, and the content is not well
organized and focussed).  So I decided to give it a go and rush out a small
update which turned out to result in a renewal.

I changed the layout a bit (remove all this black).  I tried to get rid of
table usage, but as we have so much content, there is no way around a top
level menu, so I left the table in.  However, I put the footer below the
table.  I did not spent too much time on the layout stuff, but at least it
is consistent now and hopefully not annoying to anyone.

Content-wise, I started from scratch and considered for each piece we have
in the site if it should be included or not.  I was quite conservative, and
dropped a lot of stuff.  I felt that too much noise is linked in, and too
little useful information that sticks to the point and is relevant to
somebody who is new and just looking at the page.  So I took the large
scissor and cut everything that didn't fit.  Notably everything about
microkernels went away, but it will come back soon.

As I said, rolling back is easy, but I would prefer to go on from here.
Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks,
Marcus

--