web-hurd

Re: Hebrew patches...

From: the duke
Subject: Re: Hebrew patches...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:58:59 -0500

>> One more small note, please do not convert the files to use CR+LF

That was probably done automatically by the editor (Mozilla composer on win
XP). I'll pass the whole thing through dos2unix next time.

>> whats more you changed all the HTML tages to lower case.

Mozilla composer again. I configured it not to reformat HTML source, but seems
like it still touches things. plus, some of the tags (like link tags) are
regenerated when they are put on the hebrew text (I create the hebrew
translation in the original document, paragraph by paragraph, then delete the
english parts), so they are created by the Mozilla composer from scratch, which
is probably the reason why they are lowercase.

>> Okie, after a bit of poking I gave up.  Could you send a patch that
>> updates the Hebrew pages to UTF-8, that doesn't poke around in files
>> where it is not needed and adds the new pages (i.e. everything that
>> was going to be updated)?

as I said, all the documents are edited with the composer, so the converting to
UTF-8 might change some things, but after that things should remain quite
consistent. although I have very little control over it.

so why do I keep using the composer and not using, say, emacs?
well, writing hebrew HTML is a living nightmare, I've been there for several
years and realized that WYSIWYG is the only way not to get loony when messing
with these stuff. you see, when you mix hebrew with english in one page, each
language don't like the direction of the other language (right to left for
hebrew, left to right for english). emacs has a simple solution -- it writes
the hebrew left to write. very nice if you can read characters backwards, not
very nice if you want to read long sentences. other editors just makes english
sections (like tags) be placed in places where you can't really tell what they
surround, the section to their left, or the one to their right. the only
logical solution is to use an editor that shows you the final outcome --
Mozilla composer. checking it with MSIE gives the final approval that things
work as they should, since these are the most common browsers for the hebrew
community (more than 95% of the community together, according to most
statistics. including Netscape that is based on Mozilla)

>> Next time, please!  please! please! don't poke in places that don't
>> need poking in.  Patches should be easy to read so that you can look
>> at what is going to be modified.

I couldn't agree more, but as said I can't control most of it.
I can take care of it when we're dealing with adding the "hebrew" link to hurd
pages, since I can do that in Emacs. But the editing of hebrew pages has to be
done (97% of the times) in the composer, or the hebrew parts become practically
unmanagable.

so before I'm sending you the patch from today's status to the "new" status
with the new hebrew pages all in UTF-8 and with no CR+LF, I'd like to hear your
opinion on the uppercase-to-lowercase-tags issue on light of the facts I
described here. I can't think of a solution for it.
The hebrew pages will keep their tags case, but it will not be ientical to the
one found in the original Hurd documents.

so should I send a patch that doesn't have UTF-8 and CR+LF problems, but still
have the case problem?

best regards
       the duke