web-hurd

Re: GNU/Hurd Section on the website

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd Section on the website
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:52:34 +0200

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 02:42:12PM -0500, Daniel E Baumann wrote:
> Alfred purposed on IRC (based on on Robert Millans) idea to add a new section
> called GNU/Hurd to the web pages, and move all the "GNU/Hurd" related
> information into it.  For example the installation guide really doesn't
> belong in "The Hurd -> Installation". Also, "the GNU/Hurd User's Guide" would
> also be moved there. Also I think it would be nice to link to Phil's site
> http://www.copyleft.co.nz cause a lot of people ask on IRC where they can get
> CDs, esepecially if they don't have that great of a net connection.

Is there a GNU/Hurd provided by GNU?  No.  So what is this GNU/Hurd you are
talking about?  It is Debian GNU/Hurd.

The current setup on the web page is a compromise, because nobody worked on
the Debian GNU/Hurd web pages at www.debian.org/ports/hurd.

As long as the GNU/Hurd is non-existing, and Debian GNU/Hurd is not
officially sanctioned by GNU/FSF, the only direction a move could reasonably
go is to make clear on the Hurd page that the GNU Hurd is not the whole
operating system, and link to the Debian GNU/Hurd (and other?) pages where
people can get the whole operating system if they want to.  This would
require someone to do such web pages for Debian.

Increasing the amount of Debian GNU/Hurd documentation on the Hurd page is
not the direction I am aiming at.  I realize that currently we do have some
documentation, but it is just because that is better than nothing.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/