wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Dwarvish Runemaster and Wesnothian Philosophy

From: David White
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Dwarvish Runemaster and Wesnothian Philosophy
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:00:45 -0600

Well, I guess I have to come out of hiding and deal with this subject at some point :)

On our policy for adding units to the game:

I have considered this, and I don't think I can support a proposal to add units to CVS and the distribution simply because they 'might be useful someday'. I think any units that are added should have an imminent use. Every file in the Wesnoth distribution does have some maintenance effort associated with it. Every file we add adds to the complexity. Sure, a few more images might not seem like much, but it is more files to be managed, more files that need to be converted if we, say, wanted to convert all image files to a new format (this has been done several times already in the project's history, so we can't rule it out from happening again). Every file adds complexity to our substantially-sized project for newcomers.

However, that's not to say that the Wesnoth developers can't find new ways to support building up libraries of images and other content for campaign developers to use. This was in fact the original model that Francisco and I used: he put his images up on a web page, and I would pick and use any I liked and had a use for. The system worked well.

The Wesnoth tarball doesn't have to be the only file the Wesnoth developers distribute. We can make another package that we distribute which contains additional content intended for use by campaign developers. A developer could volunteer to maintain this, to collate the data into a package, and regularly make releases of it which would be posted onto the website. Alternatively, the developers could maintain a web site which accepts submissions of content that would be made available for campaign designers to use.

If any developer(s) wants to work on creating and maintaining a content library, then let us know. I think the Wesnoth development team should and will support any such effort.

The Wesnoth releases though, should be kept relatively lean: only containing content that is actually used directly in the official versions of the game.

On development processes:

Every developer has a 'mandate' for areas they have free reign over. Jetryl is certainly our current lead artist. We must be careful not to pigeon-hole developers though: Jetryl obviously has talents in areas other than art, and his mandate may expand in the future.

For areas not covered by their mandate, developers are indeed best to consult the list. If I'm not mistaken, that's what Jetryl has done: he committed changes to the Elvish art, but he consulted the list for committing the Dwarvish Runemaster line of units, since that is only partially in the area of his mandate.

On the topic of the Merfolk/Naga commits, I believe I told Jetryl to proceed with committing them. There had already been quite alot of discussion about it. I completely concur with Shade that developers should be prepared to promptly fix any problems that their commits cause. As the project grows bigger and bigger, it is more and more important that we are dilligent about being careful with not adding numerous bugs with every commit.

I'm afraid I can't really comment on the 'friction' that appears to have been caused by some of these commits, since I was previously only vaguely aware of it. If any developers have problems with changes other developers make adversely affecting them, then please send me an email and let me know about it, and I will try to work to resolve things.

On the specific issue of the Dwarvish Runemaster line:

This unit line is not something new; it has been discussed for close to a year already. I am kinda sympathetic toward it, because I have never liked the outlaws and dwarves being lumped together in the Knalgan Alliance. I think it looks contrived and silly. The outlaws were originally meant to be 'neutral units' -- weaker units that aren't really part of any faction.

On the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how much closer the Runemaster will take the Dwarves to being able to 'declare independence' from the outlaws. It seems to me that we'll basically have five dwarvish units that all have similiar movement and defense values, with one being a basic fighter, one being a ranged fighter, and the other three simply having different 'cool' abilities.

I'm really not sure about it.....what do others think?

David