wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Wiki Manual: Translations

From: Ruben
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Wiki Manual: Translations
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:26:56 +0200

Hey folks,

sorry for this long message. I hope it isn't a redundant post.

When I started getting familiar with the Wesnoth dev, some questions arised.
As I am new to the whole thing, I wasn't sure about how it all worked.

To minimise E-Mail-questions, I would suggest an easy-to-find, separate
entry in the Wiki concerning the basics of "contributing to Wesnoth" (best
at the top of the "Developer information" link list and also linked from the
FAQ).
There, real basics, which seem to be spread all over the Wiki at the moment,
could be gathered and explained in a short and easy way. For example (just a
quick scribble),

--
_Contributing to Battle of Wesnoth_

START:
First, contact ((address)) or the head of the sub-project You wish to
contribute to. You can find the teams in the Wiki ((link to index)). It
at savanna.nongnu.org ((link)), IRC chatrooms and the forum.
Then, get the required Source File(s).

GETTING THE SOURCE FILES:
The developer files of the game are organised in the so-called
"CVS-Repository". You can download files You want to edit from the
CVS-Repository ((link)). You have access to download, but not to upload
files (see below). Only the core developers ((insert best fitting definition
here)) can upload changes directly to the CVS.

EDITING:
Editing may be done with any UTF8-capable text editor ((link to the list in
the Wiki; there it might be a good idea to add "jEdit" for OS X users)). You
do _not_ have to install the CVS program on Your computer. Mark changed
strings with a comment including Your name/alias. To get familiar how the
conventions are, You may study some of the files in the Repository ((link to
CVS)).

LOKATING FILES:
((Here, a short list of the main pathes in the CVS would be nice or a
descriptzion of the logic in the structure, but this might not be that
important. Instead, there could just be said: "Ask the head of Your
sub-project about the location of the files in the CVS"))

UPLOADING CHANGED FILES:
Send the changed files to the adminitrator of the project You are working on
- for example, to the current head of the Translation Team of the language
You want to translate. He may check and  upload the changes to the
Repository.

((to be continued? ...))

For further information, please also refer to the Wiki ((Link to the Wiki

What would You think?

Ruben