wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Re: towupper

From: Wesnoth
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Re: towupper
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:55:35 +0100

wchar has raised its head again. This caused some problems for MacOS X

previously when multi-language support was added, but I we managed to
get around those with a variety of tactics. Now it is back again with
towupper.

What kind of problems does towupper cause on OS X?
It works for characters in the iso8859-1 range only as far as I can tell
with systems using glibc.

Before toupper was used I think on the utf8 bytes which was wrong.

Jon Daniel

The problem with MacOSX is that 10.2.8 does not support wchar type nor the towupper function.

Apple are still improving the support for standard Unix libraries for MacOSX. In 10.2.8 support for a number was there, but it was patchy. 10.3 is a lot, lot better with complete support in the areas currently addressed.

So the options are:

1) leave a known bug... start the road to abandoning 10.2.8

2) modify main code

3) add a fudge towupper function to the Mac specific code.

Which is the best depends on the direction being taken.

:S

Best Wishes

Marcus