wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] About the ulfserker

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] About the ulfserker
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:53:48 -0500

As such, I'm going to propose we revert its stats to what they were like in 0.8.11.

Any objections?

YES.  Huge objections from me and Elvish Pillager.

I think those "representatives" have no idea what they are talking about. They say "the squeakiest wheel gets the oil." Please don't fall for that. These people are trying to force the conception they previously had of the unit onto what it has changed into. They're trying to make it be something it is not, and they are pouting when it doesn't work out right.

----
NOT ONLY THAT - Dragonking said the following - "After playing cvs, I think that removing berserk at defence make them perfect.. but this is my personal opinion." http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php? t=5255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

If the ulfzerker has no special ability active on defense, then nearly a full half of the time he acts normally for defensive purposes, rather than having a ability which is either a severe detriment or severe advantage depending on the situation. Even if the ulfserker is a little bit "worse" in multiplayer, which I highly question, it is vastly better in single-player games now than it was before.

It seems that in 0.9.1, the Ulfserker is seen as underpowered in the multiplayer community. Community representatives (such as Soliton, Noy, and Dragonking) tell me that there is a general consensus among high-level players that the Ulfserker in 0.8.11 (with the 'beserk' ability taking effect on both offense and defense) was both the most 'balanced' and the most fun the Ulfserker has been in multiplayer. It was powerful, but not overpowered, and added alot of fun diversity to the game.

The fundamental thing to remember about the "berserk active on defense" thing is that it is a two-edged sword. It greatly multiplies the current state of the unit - if the unit is at full health, it is very dangerous to attack, if it is at low health, it is in great danger, since it cannot luck out of being killed by an enemy melee attacker.

The other thing to remember is that Ulfzerkers, with berserk active on defense, can be killed at full health by many units, even on their chosen ground. Most units of higher levels will eat them for lunch, and many of the same level can do so as well. This is the primary problem with the "old way".

This is not a problem in very short deathmatch multi games, but in anything else, it is a severe problem.
Please don't reintroduce it.