wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Proposed Balancing Changes

From: Richard S .
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Proposed Balancing Changes
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:55:35 +0100

Hello Fellow Devs.

We've decided on a new round of balancing changes. Most of these changes deal with the Undead and the Northerners. At this time, Its pretty apparent that opinions on the Undead are heavily divided. Depending who you ask, the faction is either "too weak" or "too strong." Therefore we think it is apparent that the faction suffers from a lack of consistency. Our next round of balancing is intended to rectify this problem. Of the four differing factions, the Undead are balanced vs three; the northerners, knalgans and the Drakes. Really the problem with the Loyalist and the Rebels is due to the mage and the Undead's weakness to fire. The same problem is not present vs drakes because the drake's reciprocal weakness to cold. So really the problem is not a general problem against fire, but against the strategies of the Loy/rebs, specifically the mage. Having a weakness of fire makes for a good balance overall. So we don't think a major rebalancing of add fire resistance to skeletons will do anything except blow the current balance right of the water.

Our solution would be to bolster the current strategies that the Undead have to combat the loyalists and the rebels. The main part of our plan is to fundamentally change the Ghoul, conceptually and statistically. Our change would be to make it more of a tortured spirit that exists between life and death, one that is alive, but doesn't feel pain or fear in combat. On the balancing side this involves giving it more human like resistances- 0 to fire, but retaining its better resistances.
Holy            -100%
Blade   10%
Pierce  30%
Impact  0%      (-10% now)
Fire            0%      (-20%now)
Cold            40% (60% now)

Since the Loyalist and the rebels have serious vulnerabilities to poison, this will give the Undead a far more effective strategy for dealing with them. In addition, we would propose a slight change to the ghost to increase its effectiveness. We'd like to see a 10% increase in fire resistance and a 10% decrease in crush resistance. The 10% decrease is a bit of an esthetic change. Since a ghost has a vapourous constitution, something with crush (ie a large surface area) would probably do more damage than something with pierce or blade.

Finally for the undead we also would like to change the movement costs for Undeadfoot in hills from 3->2 and 4-> 3 in mountains. There doesn't seem to be any rational from limiting these factions from full movement in these terrain, and it prevents the faction from being able to take good defensive terrain.

Also there will be the addition of the Dark Sorceror (lvl3) to the Undead and the Slurbow(lvl3) to the Northerners.

We hope you find this agreeable.

DK and Noy