wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] usage= tag review

From: ott
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] usage= tag review
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:44:56 +0200

Talking to sanna about Towards the Mountains of Haag, the second scenario
of SotBE, it became apparent that the run-for-the-flag strategy I've
often used actually doesn't work if the AI recruits at least one fast
Thunderer on turn 1.  If this happens, this unit ends up capturing
one village and then being sent by the AI to block the passage through
the ice.  Trying to fix this for Easy by disallowing it from recruiting
archers, we realised the AI was recruiting Thunderers as if they were
usage=fighter and in fact that is the case: Dwarvish Thunderers have
usage=fighter.  Looking more carefully at this, it turns out that the
mage line (including plain mages, with 5-1 melee vs 7-3 ranged) are
classified as mixed fighters, while the Bowman is an archer (6-2 melee
vs 6-3 ranged).  Other units also have questionable classifications.

The usage= tags are used in the recruitment_pattern= keys of [ai] tags,
to control the AI's behaviour.

Should we modify some of the glaring discrepancies?  Or is there a deep
reason for the way units are currently classified?

-- address@hidden