wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Restructuring the image dirs?

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Restructuring the image dirs?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:53:45 -0500

I share your sentiments. AFAIK, much of the existing structure remains from the original builds of wesnoth, when Dave was conjuring this thing out of thin air. There was a major revision in Cedric's day (largely done by him, if I am correct), which moved everything but unit graphics out of the main image directory and into subfolders.
Thus the "root" image directory was made to be the unit directory.

Anyways, it is well worth noting that CVS doesn't natively support moving a file. We would have to delete each file and recreate it in the target location, which is exactly what was done in the initial restructuring. Other version control systems like SVN do have this capability, however some of our developers have doubts about the stability of the other systems (I *really* wouldn't know). Not to mention that it would be a major pile of work to change the system.

You'll have to ask someone else for a definitive answer on whether there are any hard-coded dependencies on the structure. There are certainly plenty of cfg files that would need a change, but I have no idea on the code.

I do think restructuring would have some strong merits, and should probably be done some time after 1.0.