wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Recursive downloads with HTTP/2 not uniformly div

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Recursive downloads with HTTP/2 not uniformly divided (#397)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:28:40 +0000

I don't think I agree with this idea. Even with HTTP/2, I think being able to
use multiple connections is a better idea. Mostly because some bad ISPs often
throttle the bandwidth on a per-connection basis. This is never official
policy, but I've seen it all too often that multiple connections to the same
server get a higher total bandwidth than the a single connection.

Also, this raises the question: What the precise defaults we want to use? Right
now, we have 5 threads and 30 files per thread with HTTP/2. Maybe, we should
revisit these defaults. Or at the very least discuss them to see what makes the
most sense.

I think we should distribute the download queue equally across all the
available threads. Also, a suggestion: We should have an option,
`--max-parallel-downloads` which defines how many files / chunks are downloaded
in parallel. This option is valid for HTTP/1, HTTP/2 and Metalink downloads.
When used with HTTP/1, `nthreads = max_parallel`. With HTTP/2, `nthreads =
max_parallel / http2_window_size`.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/397#note_103406934