wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] RE: I18N in wxWindows (was: SWIG Question)

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] RE: I18N in wxWindows (was: SWIG Question)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:42:39 -0700

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Lyle Johnson wrote:
> >
> > No, that's understandable. But, just for my curiosity, what kind of I18N
> > support does wxWindows actually have? I took a brief look at the
> > wxWindows 2 manual and it appears that they have some localization
> > support (which is good). But the article "Unicode support in wxWindows":
> >

> > http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~zeitlin/wxWindows/docs/wxwin457.htm#unicode
> >
> > suggests that wxWindows' Unicode support is only available on Win32. Is
> > that still true, or are the docs just out of date?
>
> I don't know, but I definitely want to find the answer before
> investing any
> time in this.

The short answer is found at:

        http://www.wxwindows.org/i18n.htm

Basically wxWindows uses standard GNU gettext tools for localization.
Certainly, full unicode support would be better (although, that might not
help until Ruby supports unicode). But in an imperfect world we have to make
the best of the tradeoffs that are available.

Curt