xbindkeys-devel

[Xbindkeys-devel] Re: ghastly 10hz polling loop

From: Philippe Brochard
Subject: [Xbindkeys-devel] Re: ghastly 10hz polling loop
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:58:32 +0100

Alexander Clouter writes:

> Hi,

> The patch Edwin wrote has two problems:
>  * if you have guile support, it never checks if the rc (non-guile) file
>       is ever updated

Ok I've fixed this.

>  * every 0.1s the process wakes up to stat() the config file, for us
>       laptop folk who like to run NOHZ is makes us grumble

I've applied your patch to add the pool-rc flag. Thanks.

> I have attached two patches that fix both these problems, the later
> patch makes the polling optional (by default turned off as realistically
> this file should not be amended regularly in the Real World[tm]).

Well, another solution is to increase the SLEEP_TIME variable to
something less stressing for your battery (indeed 10hz is fairly
quick for this purpose). BTW your patch can be useful and has been
applied.

> Please, next time run 'strace' on any code you write ;)

Thanks for the tip and many thanks for your patchs.
Please, can you can test them from the git repo before I do a new
relase ?

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/xbindkeys/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=xbindkeys

Regards,