xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.0 issues

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.0 issues
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:55:08 +0200

Probably not.  I don't usually iconify when I need to mute it.
Sometimes I need to mute when involved in a game. In that case, I most definitely can't iconify!

OK, clear. This seems such a common function that it deserves to be in a main menu, like Flip View.
So I added an item to toggle global muting near the top of the Options menu.
When the Options -> Sounds... dialog is OK'ed, muting is automatically switched off. Pressing "Play" in this dialog overrules any muting, and always plays the seected sound.

All this stuff sits in the front-end, (winboard.c, woptions.c, winboard.rc), so for now this is a WinBoard-only feature. A winboard.exe that implements it can be downloaded from:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/winboard.zip

I've seen it a couple more times since then. But I don't have any additional information about why it's happening, so I haven't mentioned it. I never click twice-- I always drag to make the move.

OK, so it is drag & drop moving, in XBoard.

A new and very bad bug was discovered in the implementation of the protocol extensions: XBoard sends a command "egtbpath" to the engine in stead of "egtpath" from the protocol specs. After discussion on WB forum it was decided that egtpath was better than the egtbpath I originally had proposed, and I changed it accordingly, but I had not realized that this string occurred TWICE in backend.c, depending on if matched the -defaultPathEGTB of -egtFormats option.
So I only changed the first occurence.

I consider this is so bad that it calls for an immediate release to correct it. The question is, what exactly should we release? Should we simply make it a 4.4.0a where we removed the offending 'b'? Should we put in the other bugfixes we found so far? (The signed char bug might be bad on some platforms.) Or should we go to 4.4.1 with all the new features I added since 4.4.0 (mainly to WinBoard: the chat windows and the result-comments field in the game list.) Or should we release the bugfixes as 4.4.1, and give the new features somewhat more time
to be beta-tested, and release those only in 4.4.2?