xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Comment and Tags windows

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Comment and Tags windows
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 14:38:39 -0700

On 3/9/2011 2:25 AM, h.g. muller wrote:
Is there really any need to make this distinction? It seems to me
that only having the editable version would be good enough.
It could have OK, cancel and clear buttons always. If you don't
want to edit, you should simply not type in the box, and if you
accidentally do (or accidentally hit 'clear') you can always press
'cancel' to get out without damage. An 'edit' toggle button could be
added to enable the 'clear' button and typing, but it does seem
like overdoing it to me. Especially since the only way to pop up
these windows from the menu will give you the editable version
anyway; the non-editable versions only appear spontaneously
when /autoDisplayComment or /autoDisplayTags are on,
and a commented move is encountered or a game is loaded.

I don't use this feature really, but what you say makes perfect sense. The only recommendation I would make concerning this is that if it is known when edit should be possible, you can just disable the editable fields, which automatically gives feedback to the user about its read only status.