xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:09:59 +0100

> This is my only concern.  As I have auto-queen set, I would be rather
> upset if I accidentally got something else.

I think if you have auto-queen on, this feature would be/should be disabled?

The way I have currently implemeted it is that it is controlled by an independent option. The new option only controls what happens when in the old situation there
was a popup. And that was never the case when auto-queen was on.

I am not sure this is optimal, though. I would also be rather upset when I had
auto-queen off, and I get a Queen when I wanted something else, and expected
to select it from the promotion popup, which did not come.

I imagine that the most convenient way for things to work would be to have
auto-queen on drag-drop moves, (because there the new method cannot work),
and use the sweep selection on click-click moves. You have to be very inept
in mouse handling to ever get something other than Queen if you did not
intend it, and this can be made even more unlikely, by requiring a larger amount
of mouse motion before the piece changes than I have now.
There already is something similar in the one-click moving: clicking a Pawn
with only one (promotion) move brings up the popup (or invokes the sweep),
clicking the empty square where only the Pawn can move to, it always promotes
to queen, even when auto-queen is off.

So I would not be against an implementation where switching on the new option
would overrule auto-queen on click-click and (all) one-click moves, and would only
pay attention to auto-queen on drag-drop moves. People to which this is
unacceptable can always switch the new option off.