xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 17:44:42 -0700

Hi

> A mixed version will be pretty ugly aesthetically, so I don't think we
> would want to release that as the "official" version, would we?

no, but we could at least get working developer releases out on a
regular basis... which I think is a big plus.

> I think the key is to get the GTK (or mixed if you are OK with the
> ugliness) to the point where it can be "the" xboard so that HG will do
> his development on that version (or something close to it) and his
> changes thus will be trivial to merge.

My idea would be that we do this all on master, so that we don't have to
merge and that everyone works on the new Gtk+Xt version... I think
everything else will be too much effort, unless we don't touch the
Xt-code anymore once we ported something to Gtk (unlikely)... This
probably will mean that we only do developer releases for a while, but
perhaps this is a good time. I think there are no major todo items that
we want to get implemented right now...

cheers
        ARUN