xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 08:01:57 +0200

How about this:

We add a directory .../gtk to the source tree of master, just like there
already is a directory winboard to contain the respective front-end code.
This seems more logical anyway. This way the old XBoard front-end could
then continue to exist in master next to the GTK version. The latter could
start its life as a plain copy of the XBoard front-end, copying all
'X-files' there (xboard.c, xhistory.c, xgamelist.c etc.) which is then
gradually taken over by GTK functions (if we go with the mixed approach).

The advantage would be that back-end changes (which is mostly what I do
anyway) automatically get into the GTK version without any merging.

Btw, I still think the best path to a GTK version is to first refactor the
existing XBoard front-end to get rid of most code, and only then start
porting the little kernel that is left.