xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Xboard GTK on Windows

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Xboard GTK on Windows
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:29:34 +0200

At 14:31 21-6-2011 +0200, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
*** error: gettext infrastructure mismatch: using a Makefile.in.in from gettext version 0.18 but the autoconf macros are from gettext version 0.17

I had the same problem, and Tim had the soluton to run "gettextize -f" before all of the above.

This works, but unfortunately not without side effects. It alters many files that are in git, so I cannot use "git commit -a" (which I like to use,lazy as I am...) to commit my changes anymore . And what is worse, it prevents me from changing branch ("git checkout xxx"), because
"the working tree is dirty".

So what I do after the gettextize, is: do the build, and after it, do a "git reset --hard HEAD". As long as you don't run autogen.sh again, you can then build.(This might be equivalent to simply changing configure with an editor, though, for which I am not sure it gives you properly working gettext. But usually I don't care if gettext works; I just want to be able to compile to see if my functional changes work, and use git.) This is still not a perfect solution, though; some older branches can only be built rerunning autogen.sh, and
then you get the gettext version problem back.

Doing a make update-po has the same disastrous consequences to the usability of git; I didn't know any better solution than to just commit the dozen-or-so files that changed.
But this brings hgmaster out of sync with savannah master.