xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] next release

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] next release
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 00:11:04 +0200

At 14:07 13-10-2011 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
I need to look this up again, but I managed to create .chm files from
texi, so this should work... the problem is to update the texi file to
also include winboard... unless someone has a lot of time, perhaps it's
better to wait until we have the GTK version and then we only need one
rewrite of the docs...  I also want to look into creating other
documentation files, e.g. for gnome or for os X out of the texi file...

Well, updating docs does take time, often much more than it took to
implement the feature itsef (if it is a simple option with a menu control
in a generic popup). But unfortunately it is an integral part of the
development process. We can't release a WinBoard 4.6.0 without
any docs. The alternative is that I would have to edit the raw html,
and worst of it, create the table of contents and index from it by hand.
That seems hardly faster.

WinBoard and XBoard are nearly equipotent now, and in the few aspects
where they still differ copy-paste from the rtf file seems a fast solution.
So making a texi file for WinBoard is doable. But I would prefer a
unified version over making dedicated texi versions for WB and XB.
Isn'tit possibletouse something equivalent to #ifdef and macros
in texi, for the few descriptions that differ,and the frequently mentioned
program name?