xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Options and the manual

From: Byrial Jensen
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Options and the manual
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:58:17 +0100

Den 04-01-2012 15:37, h.g. muller wrote:

-pieceToSquareTable is described in the manual, doesn't exist

Oops! This is supposed to be -pieceToCharTable. Sometimes
my engine-author hat gets the better of me... :-(

Many options are undocumented. I found these:

Indeed, the docs are currently in a very sorry state. Worst thing
is actually that there is no automatic conversion between XBoard
and WinBoard docs, so that early everything has to be done in
triplicate, as there are two incompatible help stadards for Windows,
between which automatic conversion also seems impossible.

So usually I only update the winboard.rtf file, which unfortunately
onlycan be compiled to the obsolete help standard, which almost
no one can read anymore.

Hmm, not good. I know next to nothing about help file formats and standards for MS Windows.

A possibility may be to use the texinfo format (.texi) also for Winboard. Makeinfo can make HTML output from .texi files, and that can be read by everyone.

I think you can have conditional sections, so you can use the same source for the xboard and winboard manuals. And as it is pure text, you can automatically extract information about e.g. options from the C source and insert it into the manuals. That would reduce much of the double work, but it of course takes some work to set up initially.