xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release coming soon

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release coming soon
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:55:23 +0100

At 00:29 8-2-2012 -0800, Arun Persaud wrote:
I don't think that most people install it by hand... most people get it
from their distributions I would think...

What they get through their distribution (e.g. apt-get install) is usually
hopelessly outdated.

I just had a look at

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/devel/   11.10
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/devel/     11.04
http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/devel/  10.10

and they all list gettext 0.18.1? I would think all distributions newer
than the 21 month since the release of the latest gettext would ship
with it..

Well, the last LTS version is 10.04, which is what I have. I expect 12.04
to be the next LTS release (before it was 8.04).

The problem is not in XBoard, but in the build. XBoard can be perfectly
built with 0.17, where it not that the configure process somehow forbids it.
With the version I have in master now, the make is aborted after I have used
./autogen.sh . I have to use gettextize -f followed by git reset --hard HEAD
(to reset zillions of NLS files that were changed by the gettextize) to enable
me to use make again after which it builds with 0.17).

I thought we had solved this at some point, so perhaps we reverted somewhere.
Or perhaps I did just not run ./autogen.sh for a long time, so that I just thought
it was solved.

H.G.