Re: [XForms] New pre-release: xforms-1.0.92.pre13

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] New pre-release: xforms-1.0.92.pre13
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:52:19 +0200

Hello Rouben,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:17:00PM -0400, Rouben Rostamian wrote:
> I have a couple of comments regarding xforms-1.0.92.pre13.
>
> 1.
> Somewhere along the line, the function
> fl_setpup_default_checkcolor() was renamed
> fl_setpup_default_pup_checked_color().
>
> In the first paragraph of "part3_deprecated_objects.texi"
> it says that deprecated objects "still can be used".  It
> lists fl_setpup_default_checkcolor() as deprecated.  But
> actually that function has been removed from the library,
> so it cannot be used.
>
> One solution is that you bring it back and make it a pointer
> to its replacement, fl_setpup_default_pup_checked_color().
>
> Another solution is to change the documentation to say that
> the old fl_setpup_default_checkcolor() no longer exists
> and tell the users to call fl_setpup_default_pup_checked_color()
> instead.
>
> 2.
> The header "forms.h" lists the non-existent
> fl_setpup_default_checkcolor() but the new
> fl_setpup_default_pup_checked_color() is missing.

Thank you, nicely spotted! Things are actually quite a bit
confusing there. It looks as if there were some plans a long
time ago to rename all functions concerning colors and fonts
of Xpopups, a change that never materialized.

I guess your first proposal is the simplest one, also
since fl_setpup_checkcolor() has never been documented,
so it shouldn't have been used by anyone. But, just to
make sure, I will add another #define so that both

fl_setpup_default_checkcolor()

and

fl_setpup_checkcolor()

are aliases for

fl_setpup_default_pup_checked_color()

While it's a bit ugly, it at least should cover all the
bases.

BTW, don't take the "deprecated" bit for the Xpopup object
class (and the object classes derived from it) too serious.
I guess they will still be available for a long time to come
since so many existing applications are using them.

And about the new Popup object class: I fear that I will
have to go back to that and make some adjustments in the
future in order to get some more consistency into the way
objects are dealt with by XForms. But that's something
for the next release;-)

        Thank you very much and best regards, Jens