Re: [XForms] FL_BROWSER: different behaviour between 'left click' and 's

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] FL_BROWSER: different behaviour between 'left click' and 'slowly left click'
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 23:47:46 +0200

Hi Donato,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:56:55PM +0000, Donato Lorenzo López wrote:
>         S.O.:                          HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 (td)
>         X Window version:   X11R6
>         XForms version:       xforms-1.0.93sp1
>
>   I'm gonna try to explain it as short as possible!
>
>   A program, wich has a FL_TABFOLDER. And a FL_BROWSER inside it.
> The FL_BROWSER has an own handler.
>
>    Well, in the FL_BROWSER I insert a few lines (in its textbox,
> exactly), calling this functions:
>
> fl_clear_browser()
> while(/*reading data*/)
>    fl_add_browser_line();
>
>   Well, if I do (over the FL_BROWSER lines):
>
>     a) Right click  => It calls the FL_BROWSER's own handler. OK, perfect.
>     b) Center click => It calls the FL_BROWSER's own handler. OK, perfect.
>     c) Slow Left click (pressing one or two seconds) => It calls the
>        FL_BROWSER's own handler. OK, perfect.
>     d) Fast Left click => It doesn't call the FL_BROWSER's own handler.
>        Ohhh, why?.
>
> The strange of the d) option it's that the line inside the FL_BROWSER
> get selected (it changes its colour)...

I have a bit of a problem reproducing this. First of all I'm wondering
why the browser reacts to middle and right clicks at all, I would only
expect it to react to left clicks (if it's e.g. a FL_SELECT_BROWSER).
Then there's nothing in the library I'm aware of at the moment that
would distinguish between "slow" and "fast" clicks - and a (select)
browser (that's what I assume you have there because of the line you
click on changes its color) should react immediately to pressing the
left mouse button. I guess there's not enough information here for me
to come up with a fix for something I currently don't understand at
all.

Would it be possible that you send me your programs sources so that
I get a better picture of what you're doing there (preferably, of
course, a cut-down version that still shows the symptoms, but the
whole thing will also do).

> And I have the same problem in the FL_CHOICE objects, to see the list
> of elements you have to press left button like one second.

That's also something I can't reproduce - if I click into a
FL_CHOICE object the menu pops up immediately for me...

> Yeah, about this kind of error, the programmers we say: "the program works
> 99'9% fine". But users say "that's a serious problem, I cannot work this
> way" :))

I very much would like to increase that to 99.99% or better (100% is
probably not going to be something we'll achieve in our life times;-)

> I guess the problem is in X Window configuration, or something like that,
> outside the XForms. But maybe we got a way to solve the problem from the
> program source....

At the moment I'm at a loss. Having the source code might definitely
help to get a bit further with this or at least to ascertain if this
is an XForms issue or something else...

                                       Best regards, Jens