[XForms] Tests of build system

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: [XForms] Tests of build system
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 00:27:49 +0100

Hi,

   in the last two days I've been working on tweaking the
build system of XForms. Not being experienced with the
'autoconf' and 'automake' tools I hadn't paid much atten-
tion to that aspect. E.g. while I had added a '--enable-docs'
option to the 'configure' script but that never did anything
useful (at least it didn't result in the documentation to
get created as one probbaly would expect).

   Now I hope I to got it more or less right - if you set this
'--enable-docs' option the documentation will be build (note
that it requires that you have the 'makeinfo' tool from the
'texinfo' package installed). It should build the docs in
info format, install a man page and, if the necessary tools
(texi2html and/or pdftex) are available, also build the
HTML and PDF version of the documentation. They also should
get installed in their proper places (/usr/local/share/info
and /usr.local/share/doc/xforms per default) and, when you
do a 'make uninstall' get removed again.

  I also tried to address a problem Rob Carpenter brought
to my attention quite some time ago when I accidentally
made a pre-release without the files created by 'autoconf'
and 'automake' in that there were some complaints from
libtools about version mismatches, which stopped the build
process.

For testing the changes of the build system I made another
pre-release

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/xforms/xforms-1.0.94pre21.tar.gz

For those of you that just do './configure' and then 'make;
nothing should have changed at all between this and the
1.0.94pre20 release from two days ago. Those of you set-
ting the '--enable-docs' option when running './configure'
now should see an attempt at creating the documentation
when running 'make'. If you don't have 'texi2html' or
'pdftex' you should get some warnings whike running
'./configure', telling you that the HTML and/or \PDF
documentation can't be created. If you don't have
'makeinfo' 'make' will throw an error once it starts to
try to create the documentation (but the library, fdesign
etc. will all already have been build).

  If you feel even more bold (and have 'automake' and
'autoconfig' installed) run './configure' and then
'make maintainer-clean'. This will remove all the stuff
created via the auto-tools. To get it back just run the
'./autogen.sh' script - that should re-create everything.
If you then do './configure' (with whatever options you
fancy) and 'make' you again should get a clean build.

Except for the build system there are no changes to the
1.0.94pre20 release (except for the removal of two lines
of code that, as David Binderman pointed out, were com-
pletely useless and only resulted in a compiler warning
with certain options. This does not address the problems
Justin Turnage reported yesterday with fdesign, we're
still trying to figure out what's happens there...

The only other change you may notice is that the library
now has a SO version of 2.1.1 (i.e. 'libforms.so' is now
a link to linforms.so.2.1.1 instead of libforms.so.2.0.0).
This is part of the preparation for the new 1.2 release,
indicating that there were additions to the API but which
don't break bachward compatibilty to the previous versions
(so applications linked against the older library version
don't need to be re-compiled or -linhed).

                      Best regards, Jens