[XForms] xforms-1.2.0 release

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: [XForms] xforms-1.2.0 release
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 22:00:31 +0100

Hi everybody,

   first of all a very happy new year to all of you! And then
the new 1.2.0 version of XForms has just been released. you
can get it immediately from

  http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/xforms/

(The "official" URL

  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/xforms/

may still need some time before it works correctly because you
get redirected to mirror servers which only are updated with a
certain delay only.)

I would like to thank all of you who helped with bug reports,
patches, discussions (specifically including those who dis-
agreed with me and often were right in the end) and moral
support! It's a pleasure to finally be able to release what
we probably all thought nearly 12 years ago would be just
around the next corner;-)

As you may notice also a number of other files have been up-
dated (README's, documentation etc.) and the files for all
the pre-releases I've been bothering you in the past have,
for the time being, been moved to a new directory named
`development'. That's where I also plan to put pre-releases
in the future.

Starting with this release I will start avoiding 'preXYZ'
suffices and instead switch to a new numbering system as
has been discussed here some time ago: "stable" releases
will have an even release number while odd numbers are
going to be used for development versions (i.e., 1.2.X is
a stable release, 1.3.Y a development release in preparation
for a future stable 1.4.0 release).

On the Savannah web page I have removed the "Support Tracker"
- there was hardly ever more than one post per year and for
that reason I tended not to pay a lot of attention to it. I
guess the mailing list will do quite fine for communication
for the foreseeable future.

Next thing I've go to do is to update the xforms-toolkit.org
web site, which may take another day or two. One of the pro-
posals I received was for the inclusion of a list of links to
open source programs using XForms to make it easier to find
"real-world" examples of how the XForms library can be used
(from experience I can say that groking how e.g. to deal with
"raw" canvases can be a bit daunting, so some more examples
than just the demo programs might be useful). If you have a
program that you are prepared to share with others please
let me know and send me an URL I can link to (and a short
explanation what the program does may also come handy).

                        Best regards, Jens