Re: [XForms] Windows

From: Magnotta, Vincent A
Subject: Re: [XForms] Windows
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 01:56:19 +0000

We have built some of our older tools using Xforms under cygwin. It did
take some patience but I was able to make it work in the past. That was
several years ago and it may be easier now. The key was to track down and
install all of the headers and build tools via the cygwin installation
tool.

Vince

--
Associate Professor
Department of Radiology

On 11/17/14, 4:47 PM, "jon" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 23:25 +0100, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:00:41PM +0000, jon wrote:
>> > After some swearing I managed to build my xforms application on OSX
>>with
>> > apples pretend gcc.
>>
>> Any problems I could do something about?
>No, mostly just apple issues with paths and default includes. Nothing
>broken in xforms, it worked once I convinced the pretend gcc to find the
>jpeglib I installed, and the X headers ....
>
>>  I guess their C compiler
>> is clang, which I've installed but never attempted to compile
>> XForms with it.
>It was, good news - it works :-) !
>

>> > I was wondering if anyone knows if I can build xforms and my
>>application
>> > using gygwin ? I have never used it, is it likely to work ?
>> >
>> > http://www.cygwin.com/
>>
>> No idea at all (I don't do Windows unless paid for the pain and
>> the few times that happend I had to mess with Visual Studio;-)
>
>> But the obvious question to me is: is all the required X stuff
>> (i.e. the Xlib and its headers and perhaps more) available and,
>> when you managed to compile and link it, is there an X server
>> running on the Windows machine like XMing or similar (without
>> which no program based on XForms will be able to run as far as
>> I can see)?
>"gygwin/X" comes with its own X server shim layer and best I can tell a
>Posix compatibility layer. Uses mingw (native win32 gcc).
>
>I am going to give it a go - this should be "interesting"
>
>> OSX should be simple in comparison since it's a Unix under
>> the hood, but Windows... If you manage to do that it would
>> be nice if you'd document what you did and this could become
>> part of the XForms documentation!
>Yes, I did it - like I say it sucked a bit. I know zero about apple
>stuff, I had lots of problems with compiler making stupid assumptions
>about paths and includes. I had to keep stopping at making symlinks or
>passing extra -I or -L directives to "gcc".
>
>Interestingly xforms just built once I could convince it to find the
>jpeg libs and X11 includes using various ./configure switches.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jon

Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.