Re: [XForms] drawing into a foreign window

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] drawing into a foreign window
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 22:39:00 +0100

Hi Paul,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 08:28:13PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> You might try it the other way around.
>
> Create a window as usual using XForms.
>
> Get the Xwindow window ID of your window.
>
> Launch an xterm and use the -into option
> of xterm to make it use your window.
>
> xterm -into window_id is intended to allow
> embedding into other applications.  That
> may be what you want?

Interesting idea! I didn't even know that this was a
feature of xterm. The one snag I worry about is that
XForms quite often redraws parts or all of its windows,
which might spoil the game. Perhaps one could avoid
that by using a canvas for that (which is a window of
its own and redirect xterm at it), solely dealt with by
functions for handling that canvas. As long as the win-
dow size or position isn't changed all might be well,
for size or position changes the canvas handler for
Exposure events etc. would have to send a SIGWINCH signal
to whatever is using ncurses to get that to do initiate a
complete redraw (just going by my gut-feeling and without
spending any time really considering all the pesky details!).

Of course, the quetion is still what's the purpose is
of all of that;-)
                      Regards, Jens