xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9.1.1.deb and hamlib2 packages

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9.1.1.deb and hamlib2 packages
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:40:19 +0100

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:17:56 +0100
Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Joop,
>
> > > Could it be possible to convert non UTF-8 chars to UTF-8?
>
> Found it (change "t-francais" to your local charset):
>
>       $ for f in *.xlog ; do recode t-francais..UTF-8 $f ; done
>
> NB: there might be a logfile handling hazard with UTF-8 because the
> xlog 'logfile' library is not aware of multibyte characters (most
> formats have fixed length oriented fields).

xlog does a locale_to_utf8 when reading files and a utf8_to_locale when
saving, so having the logs in utf8 format is pretty much useless, unless
we add an option to the preferences dialog for always saving the log in
utf8 format. This is also much faster, because we don't need to convert
to the current locale. What do you think?

> Cheers,
> --
> Stephane

Thanks,