xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] A few xlog patches

From: Andy Stewart
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] A few xlog patches
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 20:44:04 -0500

On 11/6/18 4:17 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
Hello Andy,

Hi Werner,

On Tue,  6 Nov 2018 05:59, address@hidden said:

1. Change the color of a new callsign when it has been worked.

The above seems like it would be a relatively simple, but useful addition.

I just fixed a little bug.

:-)

2. Just one button to set date and UTC to the current time.
           It does not make sense to be able to set the current time

I'm curious...did you remove a button from the GUI?  Do you have a
screenshot?

https://eifzilla.de/scratch/xlog-1.png

I removed the date button because the UTC button also fills in the
date.  This also shows the reordered fields.

It might be better to have an in-entry button on the right side to fill
in the UTC and for contests it should be done anyway at save-time.

I have a friend who has wished for a) a better/different order in the
New QSO frame, or b) the ability to add/delete those boxes at will,
for different contests, and c) the ability to enter a QSO *without*
needing the mouse.  My friend's chief complaint is that tabbing over
unused info boxes is error prone and should be unnecessary.  Toward
that end, I'm curious about your changes.

That is also my idea.  I am thinking about a configurable order of the
fields including a save button etc.  Recently we had an SSB fieldday and
I used some Windows program for logging.  That was really convenient and
worked pretty well - without clicking.  We should also have such an
option.  Context specific checks would also be useful.

If there is a way to rearrage/omit the fields, in a user customizable way, I think that will meet the needs of the majority of users.

For example, in a 6m contest, the exchange might be callsign, signal
report, and grid locator, which is challenging to do with the current
software.

Right.  The software should lead you through the QSO during a contest.

I am interested in your ideas.  I'd like to find a way to maintain a
balance between the casual users of Xlog and those who would like the
tool to be more user friendly for contest logging.

Re-adding the date button and its mnemonic would be simple and could be
the default.  So that a new field ordering can be done as an option.  I
guess I will first work on a configurable order of the new QSO fields
and add a configurable save button.

BTW, is GTK-2 set or would migrating to GTK-3 be okay?  I can live with
both.

I am OK with migrating to GTK-3. If this happens, my conservative proposal for the Savannah repository is as follows:

a) modify the code to use GTK-3 without addition or loss of functionality

b) start adding features one at a time with thorough testing

c) release a new version when it is ready

Regarding your other email, kudos on implementing a configurable order of fields. I'm wondering if this ordering is global (for all *.xlog files), or if it can be different for each log?

Salam-Shalom,

    Werner

Thanks, Werner, and 73,

Andy