xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] What exactly is Xnee + Ubuntu specific questions

From: Kristjan Siimson
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] What exactly is Xnee + Ubuntu specific questions
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:11:32 -0700

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:12 +0200, Henrik Sandklef wrote:
> Kristjan Siimson skrev:
> > Dear Xnee development team,
> >
> > I found out about Xnee when I was searching for Linux equivalents of
> > macro programs such as AutoHotKey.
> >
> > There are several tasks that I would like to automate. All of them are
> > related with a MMORPG game called A Tale in the Desert 3, in which using
> > macros is very common due to the repetitive nature of certain tasks.
> > There is more information about the use of macros in A Tale in the
> > Desert 3 on ATITD Wiki macros page at
> > http://wiki.atitd.net/tale3/Macros.
>
> One note here:
>
>   Xnee does not run on Linux. Linux is a kernel.
>
>   Xnee runs on X11. It's written in C.

Please accept my apologies for my ignorant use of terminology.

> Another note:
>
>   I think you should differ between tools that can
>     record and replay sessions
>   and tools that 'only' can
>     fake through scripted input
>
>   Please, don't take the word 'only' the wrong way
>

> > One of the tasks I would like to automate is picking up grass. That
> > involves moving the character forward, clicking on the harvest icon
> > (absolutely positioned), and then repeating. Since using macros while
> > being AFK is not allowed, I will monitor what is happening, and
> > therefore the whole operation would be repeatedly clicking on two spots.
>
> Need more information.
>
> I never play games so I have no idea what you mean. Perhaps some fine
> day I will start playing, so it's not a statement from my side.

The task would be very simple. I uploaded a video about what I would
like to be automated at http://kaurism.com/atitd_grass_picking.ogg.

> > Is it possible using Xnee and if yes, then any suggestions on what is
> > the best way to do this? Not going to ask anything more at the moment,
> > because if I get a good answer, I may be able to figure out more myself.
> >
> > Also, I have a technical problem. I installed Xnee from Ubuntu's package
> > manager and I have not been able to find out how to run Gnee, Cnee, etc.
> > I asked a question about that on Ubuntu forums
> > (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=741196), but there have been
> > no answers yet. Does anybody know any more about how to run those in
> > Ubuntu?
>

> Xnee in Ubuntu is version: 1.08
>
> ..... which is 'kinda' old. To say the least. gnee, cnee didn't even
> exist then. Please send a request or whatever to Ubuntu folks and ask
> 'em to update the package.

Looks like somebody got ahead of me:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xnee/+bug/62489. The report
seems to be a couple of months old already, and still no update. :-(