yafray-devel

Re: [Yafray-devel] Removing flicking shadows noise of Yafray Animations

From: Arne Schmitz
Subject: Re: [Yafray-devel] Removing flicking shadows noise of Yafray Animations (Simple way)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 12:19:14 +0200

Am Sonntag, 6. Mai 2007 19:25 schrieb Teisson Fróes:
> I use a simple solution to remove the flicking blobs of yafray animations,
> I guess that it maybe improve to yafray render engine. The temporal
> smoother filter of virtual-dub program (www.virtualdub.org) can reduce only
> shadow variations whithout remove details of objects and textures.

Yes, the irradiance caching, and also the standard Monte Carlo sampling is not
coherent in time, since Yafray itself is not aware of the animations. I think
one could whip up a small program that does this filtering outside of
Virtualdub. I guess all they use is a threedimensional bilateral filter,
which keeps object boundaries, but smoothes out noise. For more information
on bilateral filters, see [1] and [2].

Arne

[1] http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=939190
[2] http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1141918

--
Dipl.-Inform. Arne Schmitz              Phone   +49 (0)241 80-21817
Computer Graphics Group                 Fax     +49 (0)241 80-22899