ykernel-misc

[Ykernel-misc] update

From: Ishwar Joshi
Subject: [Ykernel-misc] update
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:10:17 -0500

i am trying to compile the linux 0.0.1 kernel on my laptop using bochs.

right now i dont have a linux installation on either my desktop or laptop. so i figured that i might as well but it on my laptop using bochs so that i can use both windows & linux.

once u download and install bochs, you can connect to ftp.sourceforge.net and get the redhat 6 image from the pub/sourceforge/bochs folder (i think that is the path).
this will basically emulate a complete redhat linux 6 system on your windows computer.
i have downloaded the image and am planning to install it over the weekend.

after which, i will figure out a way to put the linux 0.0.1 kernel source in it and then compile it.
if that works, then can start hacking with it.

i also downloaded the windows ce 3.0 source code from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/ce.net/previous/downloads/source/default.asp
and browse thru it.

looks like all kernels have a  lot of assembly language stuff going on for the initialization and booting sequence.

also this link which i sent out earlier is pretty helpful:
http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/articles

ciao.

-
ishwar