emacs-diffs

Re: master updated (18e7bc87521 -> c71a520d1da)

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master updated (18e7bc87521 -> c71a520d1da)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 10:32:46 +0800

> Did you follow the procedure documented in
> admin/doc/git-merge-workflow when doing this merge?

Where is this file, and what does it say?

> It looks to me like you merged master into feature/android and then
> pushed that to master, or something along those lines?

Yes.

> I'm seeing that files have their
>
>      git log <filename>
>
>  littered with incorrect (and distracting) commits saying
>
>     Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into feature/android
>
> This has not happened for any other feature branch (well, except pgtk,
> but it is too late to change that).

AFAIU, the ChangeLog generator ignores commits made on branches merged
into master, and only refers to the commit message for the merge commit
itself.

> AFAICT, we see commits like the above when the merge takes place after
> the files were first changed on features/android and then [every time
> they are changed] on master. In other words, they are displayed on
> master now in the way you would expect on feature/android. See "git
> log lisp/startup.el" for an example of what it looks like - not good.

How can this be avoided?  I merely ran:

  $ git merge --edit --no-ff feature/android

within a checkout of master; the --no-ff was necessary for supplying a
ChangeLog entry for the merge itself.

> Merge commits _from_ master should not be displayed, as they only
> serve to make history less readable. That's why git hides them there
> by default after you merge said branch to master. On the other hand we
> are, of course, interested in when feature/android was merged into
> master. But that is _not_ currently visible in "git log <filename>".
>
> I recommend force pushing a correct merge to master before it is too
> late to reverse this.

That's totally fine by me, but alas, you have not told me how to perform
this procedure.  (And I can't find a file named git-merge-workflow
anywhere.)