Re: Groff vs Heirloom troff (was Re: Quick question: how to do .index in

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Groff vs Heirloom troff (was Re: Quick question: how to do .index in groff?)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 01:36:25 +1000

> That groff cannot do the first at all, and requires external helpers
> (one of them not even shipped with the package) for the latter two,
> ironically makes it look more outdated than its "heirloom" counterpart.

What I find laughable as that neither of them support right-to-left
languages, which is a pretty embarrassing shortcoming for typesetting
software to have. Neatroff comes to the rescue on that front, so... we're
basically looking at unifying *three* major implementations. ;-) Or, you
know, we could not unify anything and simply document their differences
instead.