accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] resident evil

From: Will Pearson
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] resident evil
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:14:21 +0100

CDH:
We already know we will have multiple UI to serve different use cases: programming by voice, dictation, command and control, etc. I think that it is at the UI level where we may include features that apply more strongly to someone who cannot type versus someone who prefers dictation while typing a little.

WXP:
It might be an idea to change the interaction structure too. I can forsee different user groups being prepared to put up with different costs depending on what they get out of voice recognition. For example, different user groups will be willing to spend different amounts of time learning how to use the system. It would probably be useful to run the UI design process using a user centered design methodology.

cdh: A large bunch of the continuous dictation users who want to make emails and documents and the like only want to dictate the body of the text and use the keyboard to edit, format, execute commands, use menus, etc. A person who cannot type must be able to do these sorts of tasks with speech and we should do some sort of UI survey to design an efficient way to do these kind of things.

WXP:
There's probably a few techniques that would produce a good design. One would be taking an engineering approach involving cognitive modelling. Obviously, you probably would want to run a set of thinking aloud sessions to validate any design - although running a thinking aloud session for a voice recognition system might be a bit interesting :).

CDH:
as a blind user with RSI, I can say that while using DNS, saying, "Go back four words..." pretty well really sucks if you lose count of how many words you have typed since the item that you want to change. It's a strange cognitive model to be composing text while also trying to count words and characters that I never quite figured out how to do without spending a bunch of time.

WXP:
Ouch... That must hurt. The process of sub-vocal rehersal that is used during short term / working memory and speech production both use Wernicke's Area and Broca's Area in the brain. This conflict over the use of neurological functions is probably dragging down your performance in both memory and speech production. So, it's probably a high priority thing to try and sort out in any future system. Not only that, it seems an interesting challenge and you're a friend.

CDH:
Other than patting my dog, there is little else for a blink to do in a marathon ride, sleep, ride, repeat...

WXP:
Awww.  Say hi to the X-Dog from me.

Will