accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] resident evil

From: Chris Hofstader
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] resident evil
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:29:10 -0400

I had the VoxForge  contact information somewhere in my pile of notes on speech
reco and would have found them today. Bill and I talked about them on the phone
yesterday and I think we can do a lot to help them under the auspices of
FSF/GNU and lots of other places where my wide network of friends and
acquaintances hang out.

Recording a little text a person reads  is one of the easiest things for
someone to do and I do not believe that we need "clean room" studio like
conditions or really expensive microphones. Clearly the Nuance way of gathering
information (see below) probably got a lot of input from really bad
environments for sound. Unlike Nuance, though, I do not think we can get
millions of samples but we can probably do pretty well anyway.

The NYT reported this past week that Nuance had improved the recognition
accuracy of NS by about 15% by using their "Dictate" iPhone app gather tens of
millions of samples of different people saying different things under all sorts
of conditions all over the US and Canada. The shrink wrap license for their
iPhone app effectively said that Nuance could do anything they wanted to do
with your data. This "anything" included not just what you had their server
recognize for you (one might consider this a fair trade as you get text in
exchange for helping them refine their collection of samples) but, instead,
included virtually all text they can find on your handset - including contacts,
notes, emails, browser history/favorites, etc. I think it may have been the
most invasive EULA I've ever read and, given that I've read the iPhone AppStore
Developer EULA, that's saying a lot.

The Times article was really interesting and I can probably dig it out of my
trash if anyone cannot find it using google or searching in the way you like
the most.

HH,
cdh
,