ada-mode-users

Re: Creating tarballs for ada-mode and wisi from the git repository?

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: Creating tarballs for ada-mode and wisi from the git repository?
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 02:24:23 +0200

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
> Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> With a view to possibly create Debian packages for wisi and
>> ada-mode (don't hold your breath), I cloned the git repository
>> into /var/lib/git/adamode and created workspaces for all the
>> branches as per git_checkout.sh.
>>
>> I do have an ada-mode branch and workspace but no wisi branch
>> or workspace, only org.wisitoken.
>
>> In the wisi-3.0.1.tar on ELPA I see a mixture of files from
>> org.wisitoken and org.emacs.ada-mode branches.
>
> Right; the source for some of the wisi package is in the ada-mode git
> branch (for historical reasons).
>
>> I am wondering how I should try and create a
>> wisi_3.0.1.orig.tar.gz and an ada-mode_7.0.1.orig.tar.gz,
>> which are prerequisites for Debian packages, from the git
>> repository.
>
> Just checkout elpa (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git);
> that has the source for the released packages.

Wow that's *big* and, if it contains only releases, I don't see the
benefit over manually downloading the two tarballs for ada-mode and
wisi.  I was hoping for something from the upstream repository, not from
a middle-man like ELPA :)

> What is the motivation to release the Emacs packages as Debian packages?

Prebuilt executables, as you guessed.  And zero configuration on the
part of the user.  And adherence to the Debian sub-policy for emacsen.
And installation into /usr/share as opposed to everyone's home
directory.

> There used to be an opentoken Debian package, so a wisitoken package
> would make sense. The Emacs wisi package contains a subset of the
> wisitoken package.

Can you clarify why the emacs wisi package requires Ada sources?
AFAICT, Ada is needed only for the parser, which is in the ada-mode
package only?

--
Ludovic Brenta.
Actually, the innovator minimizes our dilemmas.