Re: [Adonthell-devel] Looking to help develop adonthell

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Looking to help develop adonthell
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:13:22 +0200

On 8/22/05, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Tyler,

sorry for the slow reply.

> I now I want to start actually contributing.  Problem is
> though, that I can't seem to get the current cvs to do much.   I
> figure that this might be normal, so that's why I'm sending this
> e-mail.

Yeah, the 0.4 source tree does contain backend code only, little to show.

> To get adonthell/tests to compile I had to add in test/Makefile.am:
> -L$(top_builddir)/src/py-wrappers/adonthell -ladonthell_py_runtime
> But then when I run guitest or inputtest, it just gives 'Floating
> point exception'.

This might be a problem caused by the last change I committed only a
few days ago. There are a few problems that I haven't adressed yet. So
things might be broken. Can you try any of the python scripts? Do they
work? At least the eventtest.py should ...

> I also had a problem running 'make install' because
> $(PY_FWDIR) wasn't defined in src/py-wrappers (the cp fails with no
> destination)  I've never been good at automake scripts, so I'm not
> sure what I'm missing.

This appears to be an error, as the cp is only required on OSX, where
Python does not reside under /usr but somewhere else. I'll see if I
can fix it, but right now I'm stuck with the company notebook which
only has windows on it. I might get something to work with cygwin, but
I didn't have time to set it up so far.

> So basically I have two questions.  First, what if anything, should I
> expect from the current cvs.

Best you see for yourself:
    http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Contents
everything in this doc is also in CVS, but little more.

The real improvement of the current CVS code over the v0.3 code is the
division into different modules that can be directly used from a
python interpreter. So you can fire up python and do a 'from adonthell
import xyz' and start using the things. We also want to improve on
other parts, like the mapengine but nothing has happend in this area
for quite some time.

> Second, what would be a good area to
> start working on.  I've been looking at the Audio tasks and that seems
> pretty isolated, but I don't know if anyone else is currently working
> on that.

Nobody is, so this would be a really good choice.

Kai