Re: [Adonthell-devel] Brief update ...

From: Joël Vennin
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Brief update ...
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:11:04 +0200

Le Samedi 26 Août 2006 05:16, Kai Sterker a écrit :
> On 8/25/06, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Maybe our machines will even use quantum processors by then! :p
>
> Which will probably have very weird endianness, I guess ;-).
>
> > I think that our building system (good old autoconf/automake) is just
> > obsolete right now. I've been able to look at some other building
> > solutions (cmake, scons, ...) and they just seem much better (suppport
> > for real Windows development tools like *gasp* Visual Studio, better
> > portability, shorter building configuration files, and so on). I think
> > I'll evaluate them on 0.4, as a way to get back into it.
>
> Well, autoconf/automake are okay on unix, although it sometimes is a
> hassle to use them together with an IDE. So I for one am curious what
> those you mentioned can do ...

Hello guys ...

About build tools, I've tested and used SCons for a while, however scons is
very slow to determine dependency between files. However, the second that
Alex proposed is pretty much. I use it for every project I realized. It works
on every unix/mac and zindoz ...

So if we have to change Build tools, we should select CMake (just remember
that CMake is now used by the Kde community).

> > And now that SDL finally seems to have a decent OpenGL backend, I
> > suddently have renewed interest in graphical programming.
I want to see that :p

> That would be SDL 1.3, right? Only saw this yesterday, but haven't
> tried it out yet, as OSX support seems still work in progress.
>
> > So, Alex back to code? Yeah, almost. ;)
>
> That's so great! :-). Maybe I manage to catch you on jabber one of
> these days. However, my timezone since moving is GMT-7, so it's not as
> easy as it used to be.
>

> As for my plan, I installed subversion (another thing to consider
> instead of CVS) to checkout latest 1.2 SDL, installed some missing
> development stuff and build a universal binary of SDL. All that
> without much difficulties. Now I'll probably need to do the same for
> all the other libraries we're using (there's comes a handy script for
> that with SDL) and finally build Adonthell. What it does in fact is
> doing 2 builds with different compiler settings (ppc vs. x86) and then
> call a tool to merge the build result into a single file. So I'm
> confident that I can do that fairly quickly.
Kai you seem to be always in action !

Jol