Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Next steps ... collision detection

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Next steps ... collision detection
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:45:03 +0900

This topic was of high interest for me a couple of years ago, when I
wanted to implement collision detection. I never came up with
something that worked correctly though. :p

Basically, for our needs (2d engine which elements have a "height"),
the solution I wanted to implement was to represent objects shapes via
2d polygons, but for which each point has a "height" parameter that is
used to extract another counterpart that gives a third dimension to
the object. That way, it was possible to have slopes and the like. On
the other hand, it was not possible to make shapes like the ones you
did without using tricks.

Considering how painful tricks are, I'd rather think that your
solution is much better. It would even become better if you could
extend the cubes to any kind of polygon. Anyway, even though I don't
think I have the time to significantly contribute on that, I'll keep
an eye on it. This is the cornerstone of the new engine and a very
important part of the gameplay.

Keep up the good work! ;)
Alex.