[Adonthell-devel] Re: git, anyone?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: git, anyone?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:53:28 +0100

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Chris Frey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Git does have a learning curve, and people do complain about that.

For what it's worth, I've installed git (no binaries for OSX 10.4, but
the usual configure, make & make install worked out of the box). The
git-cvsimport required a little tool called cvsps, which also compiled
fine. (Guess stuff might be available through fink, for the lazy).

Anyway, following the instructions on Savannah, I ran

    git-cvsimport -A ../authors.txt -v
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/adonthell adonthell

and after about an hour on the 800Mhz box, everything was complete.

Granted, that's only the first of a number of CVS modules, but I
wouldn't bother much about adonthell-0.3 or wastesedge, as not much
development will happen on those. tools will be interesting though.
Not sure about gfx, after hearing what Ingo said about large binary
files.

Which brings me to another question. How would multiple CVS modules be
handled by git?
I came across this thread on Savannah
(https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106565), which offers a way to have
multiple modules in the repository that can be checked out
individually, if I understand correctly. It would require Savannah
folks to set up stuff manually, though.

Pretty late for today, but now I can play around a bit with the
repository I have.

Kai