Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shadow is back ... sort of

From: James Nash
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shadow is back ... sort of
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:28:52 +0000

Hello!

Some thoughts on the shadow topic...

On 23 Jan 2009, at 20:57, Kai Sterker wrote:

My first attempt at adding back the character shadow isn't ready for
prime-time yet, but for a dirty hack it works better than expected.
See attached screenshot.

Currently, the shadow is a map object like all the others (although
without collision information). It's position gets updated as the
character moves around. Without any collision information it doesn't
have a bounding box right now, so that's messing up the rendering at
times.

I am also wondering: for the actual game, it makes sense that only
characters have shadows, as that's the way for people to tell whether
they are on the ground or in the air with the perspective we have.

Yup, having a shadow for characters is definitely a good idea. However, some questions:

What happens if the shadow covers surfaces with different heights? E.g. if the character is walking up some stairs. Ideally the shadow will be split and the portion covering each flat surface will be drawn with the appropriate offset. However, I'm guessing that might be tricky to implement.

Also, can we have shadows shrink if the character is higher above the ground? Alternatively, we could just fade the shadow (i.e. make it more transparent). I'm thinking if the character is on the ground the shadow beneath him/her has maximum size / opacity and if they jump upward the shadow either contracts or fades. That would give players some clues as to how far above things they are when jumping around.

However, for the map editor, it might make sense if all objects had a
shadow, so that it becomes easier to place them correctly ... so
shadow should possibly be a property of each placeable, which can be
enabled or disabled depending on whether we want it or not for any
particular object.

While agree that object shadows are important for the map-editor I think the requirements may differ compared to what we'd want for characters in game:

- They should provide an accurate shadow / outline of the area an object being moved around will occupy on the ground to help map designers to place them correctly. While the same would be cool for in-game characters I think it's acceptable to either have a simplified shadow like an oval (as you used in your screenshot) or a custom bitmap shape provided by the character designer.

- I think you wouldn't want any shrinking/fading if objects move further up since that would make object placement more difficult for map designers

Well, that's my 2ยข. What do you guys think? ;-)

                - James

--
Personal site:
http://cirrus.twiddles.com/