Re: [Adonthell-devel] Help with worldtest

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Help with worldtest
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:13:41 +0100

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Frederico Cerveira
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm interested in helping develop Adonthell.

Nice to hear that :-). Help is always welcome.

> I have intermediate knowledge of C/C++ programming language and none of
> Python :(

There's still more than enough work left to do on the C++ side.
Besides, if you know C++, Python will be simple to pick up!

> I started by building the cvs code as described in the wiki.
> Everything went fine until I tried to run the tests.
> The ./worldtest -g ../../adonthell returns the following output:

[...]

> *** disk_writer_xml::get_state: cannot open
> 'data/models/map/wall/outside/cliff-s.xml' for reading!
> *** paths::find_in_path: file 'data/models/char/npc/ng.xml' does not exist
> in search path:
>   - ../../adonthell/
>   - /usr/local/share/games/adonthell/games//
>   - /home/frederico/vanilla_adonthell/adonthell-build/test

That one is simple. You need to run it with ./worldtest -g ../../adonthell/test
That's where the data is. Maybe that is wrong in the Wiki?

> ImportError: No module named adonthell.world

That one seems more severe. Appears that it cannot find the Python
modules. Did you do a 'make install'? Otherwise, setting PYTHONPATH
might work as well. In your case it should probably point to

/home/frederico/vanilla_adonthell/adonthell-build/src/py-wrappers/adonthell/

> Also if I try gfxtest -g ../../adonthell I get a error message regarding a
> missing crono.png, according to another mail in this list, gfxtest is
> ancient code and so crono.png must have disapeared along the way, isn't it
> right? Or has anyone got the lost png?

crono.png is lost, I fear. Probably better that way, as it was a
sprite from the SNES game Crono Trigger. Which was probably fine for
testing, but nothing we would want to distribute widely :-).

Hope that gets you going! If not, please let us know ...

Kai

P.S: feel free to drop by on IRC. irc.freenode.net, channel
#adonthell. (I'll be around tomorrow ... it's a bit late today). In
case you're not familiar with IRC, I'd recommend xchat as a pretty
nice client.