[Adonthell-devel] Re: Some optimization ideas

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Some optimization ideas
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:49:16 +0100

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. The most obvious is in the GUI, actually. My suspicion falls on the
> font rendering, which always renders every glyph anew (pixel for
> pixel), applies the gaussian blur effect (pixel for pixel) and only
> then is caching the whole text. I would suggest a solution like in
> v0.3, where we cache individual glyphs as they are requested. So the
> second time it's needed, it's a very cheap blitting operation.

While waiting for somebody to go forward with the user interface
design (see
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-artwork/2011-03/msg00000.html),
I'll have a look into this. Aside from the glyph caching, there are
some more things to fix up too:

* The font class is the one remaining piece of GUI code that isn't
properly documented, yet.
* Text rendering isn't part of the normal widget rendering but happens
separately. That means, any highlight or darken effect does not apply
to the actual text, only to the border and background of the text
widget. Same goes for focus overlays, which will actually be rendered
below the text.

Kai