apps-gnustep

ANN: Vindaloo 0.2 & PopplerKit

From: Stefan Kleine Stegemann
Subject: ANN: Vindaloo 0.2 & PopplerKit
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:17:11 +0200

Hi,

I'm glad to announce the next increment of Vindaloo (0.2) and
PopplerKit. Vindaloo has gained some significant improvements, so I
really think it's worth updating. PLEASE read the installation notes
at the end of this mail. A list of changes is also included.

BTW: I will report about the progress of Vindaloo and PopplerKit on my
blog at http://stefankst.blogspot.com/

Download
--------
Vindaloo and PopplerKit are both part of the ImageApps project
(http://home.gna.org/gsimageapps). You can download them from the
download section at http://download.gna.org/gsimageapps or directly
from:
http://download.gna.org/gsimageapps/Vindaloo/Vindaloo-0.2.tar.gz
http://download.gna.org/gsimageapps/PopplerKit/PopplerKit-20050720.tar.gz
There is also a "ready-to-run" version of Vindaloo for OSX. It comes
bundles with PopplerKit so you don't need to install it seperatly:
http://download.gna.org/gsimageapps/Vindaloo/Vindaloo-0.2.dmg.gz
If you want to use PopplerKit for development of OSX applications, use
the binary PopplerKit distribution for OSX:
http://download.gna.org/gsimageapps/PopplerKit/PopplerKit-20050720.dmg.gz

What is Vindaloo?
-----------------
Vindaloo is a PDF reader application that is based on the PopplerKit
Framework. I runs on GNUstep and Mac OS X.

What is PopplerKit?
-------------------
PopplerKit is a GNUstep/Cocoa framework for handling PDF content. It
is based on the poppler library which is available at
http://poppler.freedesktop.org/.

Changes in Vindaloo
-------------------
- page caching for singlepage view
- center page in scrollview
- don't shove page into the edge when zooming in
- adjust zoom factor when the window is resized such that the current
page is either scaled to fit completely, by it's width or by it's
height
- minor UI tweaks and bug fixes

Changes in PopplerKit
---------------------
- better integration with fontconfig. All fonts that are available via
fontconfig are now also available to PopplerKit. In addition,
PopplerKit comes bundles with the most important fonts.
- new PopplerFontManager (although not complete yet)
- minor changes and bugfixes

Installation Notes
------------------
The installation notes only apply to GNUstep. Compiling from source on
OSX is tricky (especially for PopplerKit) so I strongly recommend to
go with the binary versions.
To build PopplerKit and Vindaloo on GNUstep, you first need to have a
recent version of GNUstep installed and running. You have to compile
and install PopplerKit first since Vindaloo requires PopplerKit. Note
that Vindaloo 0.2 does not work with older version of PopplerKit.
PopplerKit itself requires at least poppler-0.3.2 to be installed but
I strongly recommend to use poppler-0.3.3 because it fixes some issues
(espeically a pkg-config bug). You can download the poppler library
from http://poppler.freedesktop.org/poppler-0.3.3.tar.gz. If furhter
STRONGLY RECOMMEND to read the PopplerKit installation instructions.
These can be found in the distribution inside the docs directory.

Comments, suggestions and bug fixes are always welcome!
greets
Stefan

--
Stefan Kleine Stegemann