Re: [aspell-devel] aspell dictionary versioning question

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] aspell dictionary versioning question
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:14:37 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Andriy Rysin wrote:

Hi,

several developers recently organized a project to merge all different efforts on open Ukrainian spelling dictionaries, i.e. aspell, myspell and ispell. So now all three kinds of dictionaries are generated from same source (also aspell was converted to use affixes which saves a lot of space). The problem though is that we had to synchronize versions and they were 0.50 for aspell package, 0.7 for ispell and 1.0.2 for myspell. So the next appropriate common version would be 1.1. The question is if this is gonna be the problem if we want to put Ukrainian aspell dictionary on aspell main dictionary distribution site?

You should use the new format as specified in:
  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/aspell-lang-20040810.tar.bz2
The new format allows any version string to be used.

Unless the expanded word list (ie without affixes) is significantly larger than the one in the Aspell 0.50 version you should consider proving two versions, one for Aspell 0.50 (without affix support) and one for Aspell 0.60.

I will be more than happy to get you started.  Email me privately.