Re: [aspell-devel] Profanity suppression in Aspell

From: Ethan Bradford
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Profanity suppression in Aspell
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:08:57 -0700

Yes, that would work for me.

I think they have something like this in Hunspell.

On 5/16/06, Jose Da Silva < address@hidden> wrote:
On May 16, 2006 09:35 am, Ethan Bradford wrote:
> What do you think about adding profanity suppression to Aspell as an
> auxiliary file?  By adding an additional file of profanity, we can
> make Aspell recognize correctly spelled profanity and not flag it,
> while avoiding giving profanity in the suggestion list.  I consider
> this ideal in that it doesn't get in the way of somebody who wants to
> use profanity, but it avoids pushing it in somebody else's face.

Appears what you describe is similar to a slang dictionary, but in this
case, you mean a slang word list, unless you want to stick with calling
it a profanity dictionary (or wordlist).

> It would allow sites to customize the level of suppression to match
> local sensibilities without risky direct modification of the word
> list.

Sort of like keeping a separate medical term, or technical, or separate
scientific term dictionary.

> The big downside is the complexity.  We would also not help correct
> true spelling errors in profanity, but if you're using profanity
> anyhow, then the formality level of your writing is so low that
> spelling errors are accepted and even encourgaged.

Instead of merging dictionaries, you might want to keep them separate.

You have your normal dictionary (or dictionaries) and you have your
slang dictionary (used for checking, but excluded from suggesting
words). Check both dictionaries for spelling, but exclude the slang
dictionary when doing suggestions.